‘Installation’ is not just for software! The most productive and successful sports and business teams install playbooks, strategies, and skills that vary with the environment, competition, and initiative. Companies install – and pay greatly for – technical platforms that require daily use in order to maximize their value. The same is true for sales and leadership training. But most of the time, we view training as a chance to learn a couple ‘nuggets’, despite the fact that (research proves) we literally forget 85% of the content within 90 days. Why do we do this to ourselves?
What do these organizations have in common?
- A football team employs world class athletes. Then gets to work. Ten different coaches work with the team on a daily basis to install a playbook that helps them compete. Coaches help them hone skills and prepare for the opponent.
- A ballet company hires accomplished dancers. Then gets to work. Choreographers rehearse them every day to deliver multiple kinds of performances. They literally use mirrors to constantly assess their technique and look.
- A company employs a sales team of accomplished and new players. Every day, the sales team and its sales managers utilize a common sales process, skillset, and language, and regularly assess its value to helping them keep and grow business. Is this your experience?
In all the above, the process of preparation, reflection, and practice equip the team to succeed. The commitment is to the daily process of maximizing our skills, not to moments of training. These are fundamental truths no matter the workplace, and in our hearts we know this to be true. A quiz:
- Does the success of your initiative require skills you’re not putting in play?
- Do you need your team to be better at adjusting to the competition and environment?
- Are you relying on a few skilled team members to meet your objectives?
If you answered ‘yes’ to one of the above? Coach better. If you said ‘yes’ to two or three of the above, it’s time to install and commit to a process that helps you succeed!